Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Amino acids' Molecular Weight
Pavithra_6147
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2021 4:52:08 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

Question 21 of the AAMA biology section bank required us to approximate the molecular weight of an inactive tetramer of Integrase (IN). In the passage, it was given that IN is composed of 288 amino acids. I knew that this was an important piece to finding the weight of IN, but I didn't know how to apply it. In the explanation, it said that an amino acid has moelcular weight of 110 Da. I was able to fingure out how to get the weight of IN after this, but are we expected to know that an AA weighs 110 Da?

raquel
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 11:42:22 PM

Groups: Administrators

Hi there,

Single letter codes of amino acids are super important for the MCAT - the passage states that there are conserved residues (which is a fancy way of saying amino acid) and the D64 is the key - this means that at position 64 there is a D amino acid and D is the single letter code for aspartate. That's how you know.

And the substitution that would be the least likely to affect the function would be switching to an amino acid with similar properties to the original. So because D is polar charged acidic then switching to another polar charged acidic like glutamic acid would be unlikely to cause a big shift in the protein.
INSTR_Kennedy_135
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 8:42:21 PM

Groups: Registered

Yes good job team :)