Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
AAMC FL2 Q 1
Faraah_6727
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 15, 2021 4:13:12 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

I noticed a pattern with Altius FLs that I attempted to use as a strategy on this FL, but I got the answer wrong here. I noticed that on more than one Altius test, when the question said “the author IMPLIES…”, the right answer was not outwardly stated but instead was an assumption. I tried to use that on this FL and thus eliminated answer choice A (the right answer), because the statement was stated clearly in a sentence and thus was not an implication. Is this thinking/strategy wrong? Was that just a difference between Altius and AAMC material?

Thanks!

Faraah
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2021 8:17:15 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Faraah!

A good way to think about this is that we're always looking for a BEST answer, which means it is responsive to the question and does not contradict the passage. Sometimes with the wording IMPLIES, the CARS can be a little loose with what is an implication vs. explicitly stated in the passage. A good way to approach these is: (1) eliminate answer choices that contradict the passage or have nothing to do with the question; (2) evaluate what is left - if you have a statement that is true to the passage but not outright stated, then it would be implied. If you only have an outright statement, then it would fit as the BEST answer.

Good luck!